SMDtex: Sustainable Management and Design for Textiles
European Programme: ERASMUS MUNDUS - Action 1 - EMJD
This joint doctorate programme aims at training PhD students from Europe and other parts of the world by carrying out international research cooperation on sustainable development oriented textile management and textile design. The research activities of this project will enable to optimise the existing production organisation of textile enterprises, the worldwide textile/clothing supply chain, the transaction and design of textile products, with respect to the criteria of environment, society and human factors. New organisational solutions will be proposed to the related textile/clothing companies.
The consortium of this doctorate programme is composed of five textile universities in Europe and Asia, including
- ENSAIT (Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Arts et Industries Textiles) from France
- University of Boras from Sweden
- Technical University of Iasi from Romania
- Politecnico di Torino from Italy
- Soochow University from China
This programme will permit to train about 10 PhD students every year (4 European and 6 non European students). They will be recruited from Master degree holders specialised in textile technology, management engineering, information technology, industrial engineering and design, and chemical engineering. The teaching and working language is English. Each PhD student will study at two European universities and one Chinese university for 4 years on one of the following research themes:
- Risk/safety and resilience in the textile value chain
- New organisation models for sustainable textile processes and supply chain
- Sustainability policies and sustainable consumption around the textile supply chain
- Sustainable and innovative design processes and materials
- Sustainable quality inspection and management in the textile supply chain
- Personalised and virtual reality-assisted textile design
Each PhD student will also carry out industrial placements (at least three months) in industrial companies (associated partners of this programme) for data and knowledge acquisition and validation of obtained results. The industrial associated partners include Bureau Veritas CODDE, ASTRICO NE, HONGDOU, Lindex and NELLY.
The national PhD degrees of the three involved countries will be delivered to each student after the success of his/her final examination. Based on the experience of this programme, a joint doctorate degree will be developed around 2016.